Monday, March 24, 2008

Type 9 Gearbox

Managed to get myself a reconditioned Type 9 gearbox as a favour for doing some engine management work, its seemed a shame to start hacking around within it so I also got myself one off eBay, bargain £30.

My plan is to try and fit it without modifying the gearbox tunnel. I had been told that you can shorten the remote by 75mm, this still leaves me around 60mm short of the original gear lever position.

My first bell housing adapter is 30mm, once I am happy with the positioning, I will have another made from 25mm, In fact I ordered 10 billets so if your considering fitting a type 9 get in touch, I am currently having it drawn up in CAD so that I can have a batch CNC machined.

I have cut the tail housing as far as I can, with some major surgery I think I can shorten the remote by 105mm.


I have cut the rear casing almost back to the selector shaft seal.

The original remote housing has also be cut down as far as possible, the front section needs to be welded back on and then machined flat, I will also fit a small bush to support the selector shaft. This will then be welded to the tail housing.

The cast selector lever will need to be cut down by 10mm to fit into the smaller housing.

Hopefully this will give me a gear lever position 25 / 30mm backwards from current position, not sure if this will fit under the tunnel, that's a job for another day.

1 comment:

Nigel said...

Good job, i am just in the process of working out how to get a modded type 9 into a spitfire that i have just finished restoring.

I have some questions that you may be able to help with.

Firstly do you have the distance from the front edge of the gearbox to the centre of the gearstick hole

and secondly are you willing to sell the cad files / drawings for the interface plate so that i can get parts made to them?

And lastly how do you intend to mount the clitch slave cylinder. i am lead to believe that you will have to slant the cylinder. I was thinking of extending the interface block to hold / clamp the cylinder. what do you think?